I believe in ensuring that all local neighbourhoods have well-maintained schools that serve as the hubs of their communities, provide programmes and services for all (from young children through to adults and seniors), value parent and community involvement.
PLAN OF ACTION
- Establish a parent-led ward council.
- Help strengthen existing school councils.
- Support the establishment of new/struggling school councils.
- Attend school council meetings.
- Encourage and support affordable year-round community use of schools.
- Champion more, affordable childcare spaces and before/after school programming.
- Revise the Police Reference Check policies and procedures in consultation with Parents/Guardians, Community Members, and Staff to ensure they comply with the TDSB's Student Without Legal Immigration Status Policy (aka "Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy") and to ensure Parent and Community Involvement is not compromised.