Since virtually all construction sites in the downtown core need to encroach on the public domain, the following conditions are placed on all construction staging area applications for all developments in Ward 13 at Community Council:
- (if not closing the sidewalk) Construct and maintain a fully covered, protected, unobstructed, and wheelchair accessible pedestrian walkway for the entire duration of the construction staging area permit, at their sole cost.
- (if closing the sidewalk) Procure, install, and maintain shipping container(s) (also known as sea cans) to be used as a fully covered, protected, unobstructed, and wheelchair accessible pedestrian walkway prior to, or concurrent to, any permits being issued and for the entire duration of the construction staging area permit, at their sole cost.
- Post a 24-hour monitored construction hotline number on the construction site hoarding, which must be prominently placed and legible from 20 metres and on all elevations from the construction site.
- Create a publicly accessible website with regular construction updates and post the website address on the construction site hoarding, which must be prominently placed and legible from 20 metres and on all elevations from the construction site.
- Provide and install public art, including mural artwork, onto every elevation of the construction site hoarding with adequate spotlighting for night-time illumination, at their sole cost, to the satisfaction of the Ward Councillor.
- Sweep the construction site daily and nightly, or more frequently as needed to be cleared of any construction debris and made safe.
- Pressure wash the construction site and adjacent sidewalks and roadways weekly, or more frequently as needed to be cleared of any construction debris and made safe.
- Ensure that the existing sidewalks or the proposed pedestrian walkway have proper lighting to ensure safety and visibility at all times of the day and night.
- Mitigate light pollution by installing a shield/barrier on any lighting standards in close proximity to adjacent residential properties, such as cranes.
- Install appropriate signage and converging mirrors to ensure that pedestrians, cyclists and motorists safety is considered at all times.
- In consultation with Transportation Services, maintain any bike lanes, and install appropriate signage to inform drivers and cyclists of any changes to the cycling lanes.
- In areas where no cycling lanes exist, in consultation with Transportation Services, install sharrow markings onto the roadway and display appropriate signage on the hoarding board to inform motorists and cyclist to safely share the road.
- Clearly consult and communicate all construction, parking and road occupancy impacts with local business improvement areas, resident associations, and local school administration in advance of any physical road modifications.
- Provide a sufficient number of traffic control persons as determined by the Work Zone Traffic Coordinator and Toronto Police Construction Liaison Officer, on a daily basis to control construction vehicle access and egress to and from the site and maintain a safe environment for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Provide a sufficient number of pay-duty Police Officers as determined by the Work Zone Traffic Coordinator and Toronto Police Construction Liaison Officer, during large-scale concrete pours and large-scale material deliveries to control construction vehicle access and egress to and from the site and maintain a safe environment for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Establish a construction management working group that meets monthly and invite local stakeholders including Municipal Licensing & Standards, Toronto Buildings, adjacent neighbours, local resident groups, local BIAs, and local school administration.
- Email monthly construction progress reports to the local Councillor, local residents’ association, and Business Improvement Area Board of Management.
*A complete Hoarding Plan is required to be submitted to my office prior to the Construction Staging Area Approval at Community Council!